Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Lost poem- found!

What a bus ride!  I believe I may have snagged about 4 hours of sleep... I listened to Brahm's German Requiem on my Walkman CD player, and it spoke to me to such a degree that I listened again, and again, and again.  There is something sublime about Requiems: they offer us the full scope of human emotions, and help us to see why we hold onto life.  There is a certain underlying calm, even during the moments of extreme passion in the chorus.  We can feel the agony and the ecstasy within ourselves, all the while bobbing peacefully in an ocean of sound.
Fittingly, I found a poem yesterday, which I must have written about two years ago.  Let me share it with you now.

For the joy of breath,
The tears of love
the hunger and the hatred,
Here's to life!
To all who lived but yesterday,
To all who live today
To all who yet live not but shall
    In just another day

The moment is but all that is,
And never stay it put,
for time is like the dough of bread,
the pacing of a foot.

Never do we know
The reason for which we've come,
But wonder this to pass the time
for mysteries are fun.

What difference would it make
If our purpose were outlined?
Would we live in any better way to know
That we could find
The things that we are searching for,
the truths that to us bind?

With doubt, I say,
for through all time
We've lived and not known why.


I don't remember why I wrote it, but I think it is a lovely reminder to let things happen as they do, and to not insist on having the answer.  I hope you enjoyed it!


No comments:

Post a Comment