Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Looking back and looking forward

I have exciting plans this summer, and my friend Ian suggested that I log my experiences on my little, old, and nearly forgotten blog. So since I haven't posted an update in a while, I guess I should fill you in on the events of this past year before we look ahead to the summer.

I finished my second year at CCNY, and somehow managed to maintain a 4.0 average (I honestly don't know how I did that because towards the end of the Spring semester I was more than a little burned out and turned in work that was definitely not my best). I did this while working full time as an assistant manager at Oren's Daily Roast, teaching Sunday School, and working as a research assistant for one of my professors. As you can imagine, my time was pretty tightly scheduled, but I managed to squeeze in a couple of fun things, like taking a traditional Arab Vocals class at Alwan for the Arts.

I was accepted as a New York Life Fellow at the Colin Powell Center for Leadership and Service, which essentially means that for the next two years I'll be doing additional course work centered around public policy. The fellowship comes with a sizable scholarship, which means I probably won't have to work full time and can focus a little more on my school work (and have more fun). I'm really excited about this fellowship because it is a network of amazing people. The contacts I gain and the mentoring I receive will be immensely helpful as my career path begins to take shape.

I am so grateful to everyone in my life who helped me get through this year. There were times when I felt like I was running around with a blindfold over my eyes, so I'm sure that I haven't taken the time to thank you yet. Rashell, you were an amazing roommate who let me complain about whatever annoying things were happening, while reminding me to relax a little and trust the universe. Elizabeth, thank you for being the amazing sister that you are and for listening to me hyperventilate on the phone when I didn't think I could finish a paper. Julia, you are my one good friend at CCNY, so thank you for being a great study buddy and absurdity-observation partner. I'm so proud of you for graduating, and I'm glad that you'll still be on and around campus. Thank you, Maryah, for being a ray of sunshine, for being an Arabic conversation buddy, and for writing the letter of recommendation for the fellowship (which was obviously the reason I got it). Thank you ASYA community for being a magical source of new roommates and subletters. And of course I have to thank the amazing three-year olds who I teach every Sunday for reminding me of the simplicity of fun and joy.

So what are my summer plans? I'm going to good-old Akron, Ohio for two whole months. I have an internship at the International Institute of Akron, where I'll be assisting with refugee resettlement. I don't quite know what to expect yet, or exactly what kind of work I'll be doing. But I'm looking forward to meeting the families that I'll be working with and to learning about their cultures. I'll try to keep you posted throughout the summer!

Ohio here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment