Monday, April 22, 2013

South America 2014




I was hanging out virtually with one of my favorite people, Monica, last night.  She's in Ecuador, and I'm in New York City, but Skype allows us to have a video version of each other to talk to.  It's not something I've done very often, so I'm not used to the feeling of being watched from afar, but I can't say how awesome it was to feel like we were just chilling like the old times.  Now, at this point, you're probably wondering why she's in Ecuador, and why this story is relevant to anything  (I haven't posted in this blog in almost a year, so this post better be interesting, don't you think?).

Monica is studying biology at Denison University, which is outside of Columbus Ohio.  This semester, she's on something akin to a field study, but I'm not sure what exactly it's called.  She's hanging out in a small village in Ecuador, studying plants.  Developing natural pesticides and fungicides, and all sorts of craziness.  I'm super impressed, and also a bit jealous that she is spending so much time in a beautiful, peaceful environment, while I'm in a big city, churning nonstop with people, ideas, work, and stress.  

So when she asks me to join her in backpacking through South America with her next summer, I nearly jump off my mattress, where I was folding laundry.  That's exactly the kind of trip that I've been dying for.  And I couldn't think of someone I'd rather do it with.  My immediate answer was, Let's Do It!!!!!!

Thinking forward, there's a lot of work to do in preparation.  I need to somehow save enough money.  I would probably need to put away $100 each month until then.  This is not going to easy.  Margins are very tight as it is, so I think I need to get creative.  If you have any ideas, let me know.  If anyone is going to give me a birthday present in July, it might as well be related to this, because this is serious, people!  I'm thinking, maybe I can move after my lease is up if I find a decent room for $600.  I had a lot of great ideas while I was working today, but I was also making lattes at the speed of sound, so I don't really remember much.  I might try to busk with my viola.

Provided I (we) can figure out the finances, there will be tons of choices and preparation.  I'll try to use this blog as repository for information on the development.  Details like where we're going and so forth.

I would like this trip to be an adventure that strengthens the bonds of a great friendship, and which lends me some sense of direction for my studies, career, and life.  Also, I would like to volunteer in some way while I'm down there (because I would help any community I find myself in, not because I believe them to be in great need of help from Americans).

I apologize for my rambling.  If anyone has traveled to South America, or has done backpacking, and would like to give us some advice, feel free to leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment